The difference between low- and high-limit slot machines is the maximum bet size allowed. Low-limit slots are considered to be less risky. However, high-limit machines have their own advantages. However, you need to be very cautious when playing at the high stakes.
High-Limit Slots: Advantages and Disadvantages
High rollers are gamblers that prefer to play at high stakes. They invest serious money in gaming and expect an equally high return. However, this style of gaming doesn’t suit everyone. High-rolling has both pros and cons.
Pros of playing high-limit slots are the following:
- Higher winnings. This is true not just for progressive slots where jackpot is paid out only if you play at the maximum stakes. In any slot games the winning coefficients are multiplied by the bet size. The larger the bet is, the more you win.
- A higher winning potential. Though it is usually not stated officially in the casino’s rules, according to the statistics, winning combinations fall out more frequently when you stake larger sums. That said, low-limit penny machines have the lowest RTP – 75-80% while high-limit machines can have a payout percentage up to 97-98%! It means that you play back, in average, every $97-98 out of $100.
At the same time, there are some cons as well:
- You can play for a shorter time with the same sum of money. In a penny machine, you can play for an hour or so with just $10. In a high-limit slot, one stake per one spin can be $20 or $25. If you want to play for 2 hours, you need to deposit over $1000.
- Your losses are much higher. If your bet per spin is $0.01, you won’t lose much even if 10 spins in a row are unsuccessful. But when you are playing at high stakes, you lose dozens of dollars with every unsuccessful spin.
How to Choose the Optimal Stake Level
Essentially, it doesn’t matter whether you opt for a low-, medium-, or high-limit game. The main criterion is your own comfort level. Try to go with your gut feeling: how comfortable do you feel about playing at the chosen stake? Keep in mind that gambling, in any case, is not a way of earning money. It is a risky game. Chances are, you’ll lose all your deposit. Do you feel ok about it? If you can live without this money, then it is ok. But never spend on gambling more than you can afford losing. Remember: high-rolling is not a guarantee of your winning.
Is it possible to calculate the best stake size? Experienced players apply their own strategies when betting. If you are not sure about your strategy, use some basic simple calculations. First of all, you need to decide how much you are going to spend and how long you are going to play. After that, check the payout percentage of the chosen slot machine. Then work out the most probable scenario, using the following formulae:
- In average, we make 10 spins per minute. This is 600 spins per hour.
- The RTP level will help you to calculate how much in average you will lose. For example, RTP 90% means that you, roughly speaking, will lose 10% from every bet. If your bet per spin is $20, you should expect to lose $2 on every spin or, approximately, $1200 per hour.
- If you are going to play for 2 hours, you need $2400. Chances are you’ll win a major prize or even hit a jackpot; however, you need to be ready to lose all the money. If you feel ok about losing $2400 for two hours, then you may try playing at the high stakes. If you can’t afford it, choose a lower stake or reduce the playing time.
Land-Based Machines or Online Slots?
What is the best place for a high-roller – a conventional casino or its digital analogue? Opinions differ, but there are at least two reasons to opt for an online casino. Firstly, online slots have a higher RTP. Owners of virtual casinos have less expenditure. They don’t pay major taxes, they don’t need to maintain casino rooms, buy furniture and equipment, pay salaries. Software is relatively inexpensive, and the can allow players to win some more. In some cases, the payout percentage of web-casinos reaches 97-98%!
Secondly, online casinos often allow higher stakes. While for brick-and-mortar casinos, $ 25 is usually the upper limit, e-casinos offer really impressive deals. Moreover, some of them have special offers for their “best” loyal customers. The can change the betting limits for the particular player.